The Morning Call Game
If you had told me this time last year that I’d be having a daily call I’d have laughed at you, but now I am, and it’s changed my life.
My friend Robert bet me that I was too disorganised to call him at 7am every morning for a week. I didn’t think I could do it. I liked the freedom of being able to do what I wanted when I wanted to do it. But I’m not one to shy away from a challenge so I said “Yes”. What I didn’t realise was that this was going to change my life. A year later and we are still having the calls.
So what happened?
Within a week of calling Robert I realised that the calls were making a difference.
- I got a chance to reflect on the previous day and recap on what I had learnt
- I also told Robert all of the things that I was planning to achieve that day
- I got to set an intention for the day
- By 7.15 I had processed all of the things in my mind and I was in a better mood
- Robert was checking that I had achieved what I said I would the day before
Somedays our calls last 3 minutes, some days they last half an hour. I think we both get an equal opportunity to talk. Sometimes we talk about what is going on with him, sometimes we talk for longer about me. It evens itself out.
Over the months we have developed a structure that we talk from – welcome to the Morning Call Game. The questions we ask each other are?
- What happened yesterday? What did you learn? Did you do what you said you’d do?
- What are you planning for today?
- Who are you going to be today? (Happy, focused, playful, powerful, etc)
- What would you like to be acknowledged for doing well?
This structure really supports me to keep working through issues in my life and keep me in a good frame of mind for each day. Nothing hangs around for too long without Robert making me come up with a plan to deal with it. He certainly doesn’t listen to me moan. I honestly feel so much more effective from doing it. I hit targets like I never did back then and things are moving in my life faster than they ever have.
Find someone that wants to do it with you, set them a challenge and do it for a week. You’ll both have so much more power in your lives. We’ve also set this structure up so that you can talk to our bot Sophie about it. Trust me, it works just as well with her. In fact it’s the perfect place to start if you aren’t ready to get your friend involved yet.